Tuesday 1 April 2014

Lecture Three: From Blackboard to Bestseller

Have you ever dreamed of giving it all up and becoming a writer? Well that's just what out third speaker this season did - becoming a best selling author. A former pupil of Mary Immaculate College, Roisin Meaney's lecture is sure to be interesting and entertaining!

Monday, April 7th at 7pm in T1.16.


Roisin Meany: From Blackboard to Bestseller

Abstract:


In my lecture From Blackboard to Bestseller I’ll chart my rather scenic route into the world of fiction writing, an occupation that had never featured in my career plans when I was growing up. I’ll outline the various serendipitous stepping stones that led me out of the classroom and brought me to where I am today. I’ll also share the glitches that tripped me up from time to time, the things I have learned about the world of publishing and my hopes for the future.


Brief Biography:

In August 1977, just before beginning her three years in MICE, Roisin Meaney wrote seven words and won a car. Twenty-four years and one teaching career later she wrote eighty thousand words and won a book deal. In 2008 she put her red pen out to pasture and left the classroom to become a fulltime writer. Today she’s the author of nine (soon to be ten) published novels, four of which have ended up in the top five of the Irish fiction charts, one (The Last Week of May) going all the way to the top and another (The People Next Door) making it as far as number two (Anne Enright was hogging the top slot at the time with The Gathering). Two of Roisin’s books have been published in the US, and she has been translated into Danish, German and Italian. She’s been described as the new Maeve Binchy and the Irish Joanna Trollope. On the first Saturday of each month she tells stories to toddlers and their teddies in the library at The Granary. She is a fan of cats, chocolate and random acts of kindness. 

Twitter: @roisinmeaney
Facebook: Roisin Meaney

No comments:

Post a Comment